CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

what in the world am i doing here?

Oh, my. I am still trying to figure out exactly what in the world I am doing taking college class again after oh so very many years. I have managed to amass a lot of college with not one degree. As background, I went to college straight from high school and did not go back for my senior year(lacking only 27 hours to get my BA). Instead I met the man, I would soon marry and thought, who needs college? and hey I can always go back anytime. Yea right! Life happens. Five children happen, full time job happens. When my youngest was born, I thought I would go into nursing, so I took a lot more hours and got accepted into the nursing program, but chickened out. I keep getting the urge to finish. Why? So I did a degree check for an associates and I must take college algebra and speech which I have dropped twice because I was so shy. But because I am not smart enough to go straight to college algebra, I am having to work my way up. Therein lies the point of my question, what in the world am I doing here?

I have been out of high school for 30 years. What is the point of a degree at this late stage of my life? When I was in college initially, I wanted to change the world and I really believed I could. My major was sociology and I saw so much potential. Then I grew up and older and I realized that I could not even change my own kids, let alone strangers. Sobering...But I want to do something in life that does make a real difference in the lives of others... A real passion for something is what I seek...Maybe its too late, maybe I am too old...When I'm sitting in class with all the young kids, and I am obviously the oldest one there, I really wonder what the heck I am doing and if in fact I have lost my mind...Maybe I have...

5 comments:

luckygirlgifts said...

You have a very thoughtful blog.
Thank you for your kind words on my giveaway blog.
Good luck in the drawing
Cari B.

Jennifer said...

Look, you'll either be a little bit older without a degree or a little bit older with a degree. Think of the life experiences that you have that the kids in your classes don't.

As far as working your way up in the algebra classes - think of it as a refresher course. After 30 years, anyone would need a refresher course. There's nothing wrong with that!

I hear ya' on the speech class. It can be frightening to speak in front of people. But you can do it, Gerri!

So, you're a "non-traditional" college student! Traditional is boring.

Go you!

Anonymous said...

Each of us bring into this world a gift and a desire to change the world. I believe you can do it one step at a time.

You write a very thoughtful and sincere blog. Please feel free to visit anytime.

Kris

Justin and Melissa said...

You inspire me. Our college is filled with non-traditional students. When I was there I had lots of 'older students' in class with me. I didn't look at them and wonder why they would go back at their age, I was amazed that afer everything they must have been through that they still came back to college. It gave me prospective on how important an education really is to people. It made me want to keep with it. So, keep at it. And as for the remedial math classes - you would be AMAZED at the percentage of students that have to take them. It is more normal to take them than to not have to!

April said...

I'm 34 years old and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. What if I never know what I want to do with my career? I know that the college thing is scary, I am there with you. You can do it!!!